Watching movies is one of those activities that everybody does.
Whether it’s in a theater with popcorn, the smell of synthetic butter wafting through the room, or in your own home, movie-watching is a national pastime. There’s a film for every mood and situation.
I love watching movies, but I’ll draw a blank if you ask me my favorites.
After much thought, I’ve compiled a list of the movies I enjoy watching over and over. These films are not necessarily the best ever made, but they’re the ones I can return to like a worn pair of jeans. They’re comfortable, and I can watch any of these movies at any time and still enjoy them.
Dim the lights. These are my eight most comfortable movies in no particular order.
- Psycho: An Alfred Hitchcock classic, it has great camera shots (remember the shower scene?) and a story that is always compelling, no matter how many times I see it. Plus, Norman Bates makes for a great character study. Favorite quote: “Headaches are like resolutions. You forget them as soon as they stop hurting.”
- Legally Blonde: I love this buoyant story about a girl who goes to law school to win back her boyfriend. It’s fun, light, and the reason the movie works so well is due to Reese Witherspoon. It’s just so fun to watch her play a ditzy socialite-turned-lawyer. Favorite quote: “The rules of hair care are simple and finite. Any Cosmo girl would have known.”
- Singin’ in the Rain: It has irresistibly catchy music, show-stopping dancing, comedy, and the fictional actress Lina Lamont, whose vanity and shallowness is just so fun to make fun of. Favorite quote: “What do they think I am, dumb or something? Why, I make more money than Calvin Coolidge — put together!”
- When Harry Met Sally: There isn’t much that happens in this film. It’s mostly conversation, but it’s natural and believable. It’s one of the few romance movies I like. Favorite quote: “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: There’s one reason this movie is on my list — Jack Sparrow. I adore Johnny Depp, and this is one of my favorite characters that he plays. He’s clever and unpredictable, delivering quite a few zingers. Favorite quote: “You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?”
- Star Wars (the original trilogy): I’ve talked about Star Wars before, so this isn’t a surprise. It’s an exciting story about Luke, who is whisked away from moisture farming to save the galaxy. Not a bad career change. Favorite quote: “Do or do not. There is no try.”
- Any Pixar film (except Cars): Pixar is a master at making original stories. Up — an old man traveling by balloon. Monsters,Inc. — the behind-the-scenes lives of monsters under the bed. Ratatouille — a French rat with culinary prowess. The stories and characters are not only enduring; they’re original. They aren’t based on a book or a Disney ride or a play. Favorite quote: “I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now,” courtesy of The Incredibles.
- Edward Scissorhands: This is one of my favorite movies from Johnny Depp’s body of work. Edward doesn’t have much dialogue, so his acting is mostly through his face. The movie’s imagery is striking, and the audience catches a glimpse of the uniformity of suburbia and how Edward and his scissors-for-hands clashes with it. Favorite quote: “-I can’t believe you sheep have strayed so far from the path of righteousness! -We’re not sheep!”
What movies would be on your list?